2022 Cantata Choir
The 2022 Community Christmas Cantata Choir is excited to announce our one hour presentation of “Born Is the King: It’s Christmas”. This choral cantata, presented in our 36th season, was created by Luke Gambill and Sue C. Smith, and blends narration with a collection of Christmas music in contemporary and traditional styles. The upbeat and moving music is expected to appeal to most tastes and ages. ALL performances will be interpreted in American Sign Language (ASL) for the hard of hearing. Performance arrangements include:
- December 2, Friday, 7:00pm, FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, 390 Northeast Second Street, McMinnville, 503-472-6256
- December 4, Sunday, 4:00pm, CHRISTIAN CHURCH, 1305 Goucher Street, Amity, 503-835-2551
- December 8, Thursday, 7:00pm, CHRISTIAN CHURCH, 265 West Main Street, Yamhill, 503-899-7861
- December 10, Saturday, 7:00pm, ST BARNABAS EPISCOPAL CHURCH, 822 Southwest Second Street, McMinnville, 503-472-5831
- December 11, Sunday, 5:00pm, SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH, 1500 Southwest Old Sheridan Road, McMinnville, 503-472-7841
- December 16, Friday, 7:00pm, FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, 300 Flower Lane, Dayton, 503-864-2474
- December 17, Saturday, 3:00pm, JOYFUL SERVANT LUTHERAN CHURCH, 1716 North Villa Road, Newberg, 503-538-0475
- December 20, Tuesday, 7:00pm, ST JAMES CATHOLIC CHURCH, 1145 Northeast First Street, McMinnville, 503-472-5232
We will live stream the December 17 Joyful Servant performance to YouTube. The stream will go live at 2:55 pm. Click here for the JSLC live stream channel.
This schedule may be impacted by inclement weather. If in doubt, contact the church or the director to confirm a performance after noon on the day of the anticipated performance.
There are 45+ participants in the over-all production, including the 28-member, five-part, non-denominational choir, Youth Chorus, ASL Choir, narrator and instrumental musicians (piano, synthesizer, percussion, electric bass, guitar, flute and clarinet). Many faith traditions are represented from several counties and two states. Since 1987, this group has assembled annually in early October solely for the purpose of preparing the Christmas cantata. Several soloists are involved. All participants are volunteers and pay for their own materials. The director of the group since 1990 has been Lee Schrepel of Yamhill, former choir leader at Joyful Servant Lutheran Church, Newberg, and Trinity Lutheran Church, McMinnville.
The public is enthusiastically invited and will be warmly welcomed. Hosting congregations are asked to offer refreshments and child care, and all will receive a free-will monetary offering in support of YCAP’s Yamhill County Food Bank Program. In this manner, more than $255,000 was raised during the 2003 through 2020 cantata seasons!
Individuals wishing to participate in the 2023 cantata should give the Schrepel’s an email address or a stamped, self-addressed postcard at one of the performances and watch local newspapers, church bulletins and the choir’s website for organizational information next September. Individuals and organizations wishing to assist future choirs financially should also contact the Schrepel’s.